Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Shop Wise With Juanette: Inventore (Made Up Word) Yourself

I recently received an email from a reader of Fashion Nette-work (Hey Kesha!) asking about shopping tips for people that hate shopping and if I have a method for shopping. So since she asked I thought that I would share what works for me in a new series called "Shop Wise With Juanette."
Jenna Lyons Closet

My First Tip: Take inventory of what items you already have. Ask yourself if things can be altered or updated, you may need to just cut off the sleeves or alter the hemline to give an item new life. Get rid of things that don't fit, flatter or are just plain old out of style. Even if you can still fit it. Acid washed jeans? Don't do it. Crocheted poncho? Come on, people, work with me.


I had a dress that I loved, I mean L-O-V-E-D loved that I had for years. I bought it from Clothestime. Ummm hmmm, Clothestime. (Some of yall have no idea what Clothestime even is, lol.) I had that dress for about ten years, no lie. I was going through my Spring/Summer clothes and my boyfriend at the time told me that I needed to get rid of that dress. Me: "Who does he think he is, Andre Leon Talley or somebody??" Tryna tell me what was in style. I was indignantly telling my friend about what he said and she told me, "He's right." WHHHHHAAAAAA?!? You could have knocked me over with a feather. But after I thought about it, I realized that although the dress was long like I like them, the pattern and cut was dated. So I got rid of it (under duress, lol.) But it was time. I also believe that once you got rid of things that are just taking up space, it makes room for new things to come to you.
(This can also apply for life in general.)

(images via Pinterest)
By the way my photo from the Tx Style Council is on NM Daily, the Neiman Marcus Lifestyle blog! Thanks Reiko for letting me know!
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Twitter
Subscribe to Fashion Nette-work

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great tips!!! I look forward to seeing more of Shop Wise With Juanette!!



Carsedra of:

http://www.embracingtherealme.com/

http://sweets4yourtooth.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Very good tips! I am always getting rid of things that I have not worn, because even if its cute, there's a reason it hasn't been worn in months (and its not the weather).

Sing of Singature Style said...

Congrats on your feature!

Tonya said...

I really like this info tip! I think that is exactly what I need to do...get rid of stuff that is taking up space...no matter how dear to me.

Fashionista fuera de la Ciudad said...

Wao! Love your outfit! And I agree totally with you girl, get rid of old things and new things come to you! Love it!

fashionistafueradelaciudad.blogspot.com

missmelanie_99 said...

Good tips; I LOVE-DED Clothestime [sigh].

Bespoke Biddie said...

ohhh honey! lovely images and great tips

- PRADA SUNNIES GIVEAWAY -
- PRADA SUNNIES GIVEAWAY -

Sunnie
(.=

Chioma said...

great tips! and even greater outfit! I know the trend has been colored pants, but i've had no luck finding any, that fit my curves anyway! lol

christan louboutin said...

Great tips!!! Love your style !!!

Kenya said...

OMG - did you just say Clothestime? Wow, you brought me waaaay back, love your blog, love your style!!

www.letsmakeadeal-us.blogspot.com

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin