Tuesday, January 18, 2011

You Can Find Me In The Club (?)

I was invited to a happy hour on Friday and decided to wear my 'Birthday jacket' and jeans. Well imagine my surprise when I pulled up to the venue and got that unmistakeable "club" vibe when guys started checking me out while I was still in my car. I mean peering into the car as I was driving by. WTH? Then I see a chick in a sequined minidress and my mind starts racing. Sequins? All this for a Happy Hour? Not a sequined shoe or top but a whole sparkly azz sequined number. Now I am a firm believer that sequins can be for any time, not just special occasions but I like sequins in unexpected places like work not expected places like a bar. But maybe I was just uncomfortable because I was repping the 70's, at least sequined chick was in the appropriate venue.


As I entered into the spot, there was a band playing "Brick House" and I remember thinking "This song was out when my jacket was in style." 

But I guess looking out of place worked for me because I got some free drinks, was told that I was beautiful (not bragging just relaying the message) and a Peter from The Real Housewives of Atlanta lookalike requested that the DJ play Jay-Z for the chance to dance with me. (Yall know Jay-Z gets me every time.)

Dude looked like this:

I haven't been to a typical club in years, I did my fair share of clubbing (okay, maybe a little more than my fair share) in my 20's and after that night I don't miss it one bit. The leering guys, the "look at me" behavior of the chicks and the wack DJ brought it all back to me. I prefer more of a lounge environment, a good houseparty or a jazz spot at this point. But I was glad that I didn't know that this was a typical club environment because in the midst of the seemingly required dress code of jeggings (yes I hate that word), over the knee boots and sequins, I stood out for being...typical me.


And I'm not sure what was going on with my hair but it was looking phenom-en-al (now I am bragging but I don't think I had anything to do with it, maybe it was the weather?) so I have to figure out how to recreate it.


Friday Hair:

The moral of the story? Be you, even if you look like one of Willona's customers from the boutique. 

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." - Judy Garland

6 comments:

Nicole said...

What did you do to your hair? It always looks wonderful. You should blog about your hair, as well

Janei said...

My sister found your blog and shared it with me. I love reading your posts!!! You encouraged me to try more natural hair styles and re-think what is presently in my closet. Keep doing what you are doing!! God Bless!!

Anonymous said...

LOL! @ the Happy Hour story!!! Your hair did look great that night but generally it always does. Hey what happened with the Peter look a like?(didn't get a number?)lol Love that blazer!!!

Towanna

Ms. Tee said...

This post cracked me up! I was just talking with friends over the weekend about the typical club feeling like a meat market! I agree that a lounge, jazz spot, or house party would be more my speed (something my city is sadly lacking).

Your hair looked great Friday night...as always!

Anonymous said...

Right on Sista your hair looks and your hairs looks DYNAMITE!!!

Anonymous said...

You're hair looks good!! I love the jacket. It's so funny you mentioned Wilona, I was telling someone the other day I love to raid Wilona's closet. I am such a 70's and 80's girl

Brandee

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin